"The accident of where one is born is just that, an accident; any human being might have been born in any nation"
Martha Nussbaum, 'Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism' in For Love of Country (Beacon Press, 2002)

Monday 11 February 2008

ALSP 08

I'm currently writing a paper for the upcoming Association for Legal and Social Philosophy conference on Global Justice which be held at Nottingham University from 27th-29th March this year. I've had my abstract accepted - now I just have to finish the paper.

My paper is entitled 'A Global Solidaristic Community?'. It addresses the role that the concept of need plays in David Miller's theories of social and global justice, and asks whether there is substantial and problematic divergence between his two theories.
I have been assigned to one of the panels on 'Cosmopolitanism and Nationalism', and from the other titles it looks like we will all be focusing on David Miller's work in some way or another. At the moment our panel is scheduled for 9am on 28th - which may mean a smaller attendance than if it were scheduled later in the day!

No comments: