Conference announcement courtesy of the Brooks Blog...
Rescuing Justice and Equality: Celebrating the Career of G.A. Cohen
On January 23-24 2009, with the generous support of Philosophy and Public Affairs, the Centre for the Study of Social Justice will be hosting a conference to celebrate the career of G.A. Cohen, who is retiring after 23 years as Chichele Professor of Social and Political Theory.
Over the two days there will be eight papers covering various themes raised by Professor Cohen’s contribution to the field, each given, and commented on, by a colleague, friend, and/or former student.
The full list of confirmed speakers is:
• Professor Richard Arneson (UC San Diego)
• Dr Paula Casal (University of Reading)
• Professor Joshua Cohen (Stanford University)
• Professor Gerald Dworkin (UC Davis)
• Professor David Estlund (Brown University)
• Professor Cecile Fabre (University of Edinburgh)
• Professor David Miller (University of Oxford)
• Professor Michael Otsuka (University College London)
• Professor Joseph Raz (University of Oxford)
• Professor John Roemer (Yale University)
• Professor Tim Scanlon (Harvard University)
• Professor Seana Shiffrin (UC Los Angeles)
• Professor Hillel Steiner (University of Manchester)
• Professor Wayne Sumner (University of Toronto)
• Professor Philippe Van Parijs (Université Catholique de Louvain)
• Professor Andrew Williams (University of Warwick)
There is no conference fee but places for the conference are limited. Please register your interest by emailing Kate Candy: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your name, title and affiliation in the email. Further information will be posted online at http://social-justice.politics.ox.ac.uk/events/Cohen/index.asp as soon as it is available.