"The accident of where one is born is just that, an accident; any human being might have been born in any nation"
Martha Nussbaum, 'Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism' in For Love of Country (Beacon Press, 2002)

Friday 18 April 2008

Not so good news

So it turns out that due to some mix-up in the finance department that is too long a story to go into here I won't be teaching next semester after all. It's disappointing given how much I was looking forward to it, but as several people have pointed out to me, at least now I'll be able to concentrate on my thesis! I'm keen to re-apply to teach in the following year (Autumn 2009). and hopefully I'll have better luck next time around. I'm now aiming to have a fairly complete draft (i.e. everything done but a final check of references and typos) done by the end of the next academic year, which will be three years exactly since I started the PhD. If I can manage that then the teaching would come at a pretty good time - I could submit and job-hunt whilst still having a reasonable income.

No comments: